Sunday, November 22, 2009

This is a song about Thanksgiving...

Thanksgiving Mix

There aren’t many Thanksgiving songs in a traditional sense, but over the last few years, I have burning mixes dedicated to the day. Beyond my general excessive mix-making, there are two major reasons for this practice: 1) Thanksgiving tends to be a memory making holiday for me, and so I like to recall my personal history with the day and 2) Thanksgiving journeys have meant long drives for a while now, and long drives tend to mean new mixes for my car. In any event, these mixes usually include songs like those below, plus whatever I’m listening to at the time. Enjoy, and Happy turkey day!


01. “I’m Going Home” by Hootie & The Blowfish
02. “Lullaby” by Ben Folds Five
This was the opening track to a mix I drove home to for Thanksgiving 2005, and has been linked to the holiday in my mind ever since then.
03. “The Boys Are Back In Town” cover by Everclear
This song harkens back to Thanksgiving2001. That Thanksgiving eve marked the first reunion of sorts for me with my closest friends from high school, which led to a long day of basketball at SUNY IT, to be capped off by an ill-advised viewing of Martin Lawrence vehicle Black Knight.
04. “Thank U” by Alanis Morissette
05. “The Christians & The Pagans” by Dar Williams
This is really a Christmas song, but with the references to pumpkin pie and whatnot, it always sounds right to me around Thanksgiving as well.
06. “Fire Water Burn” by Bloodhound Gang
This song recalls the night after Thanksgiving 2007, which found me in the basement of the Converse house. It was the first time I had really hung out with those guys in quite some time, and the first time I had heard this song in who knows how many years.
07. “High School” by Jeremy Fisher
This is a nod to Thanksgiving eves in general, an unofficial high school reunion night at bars across the country, the last few of which I experienced at Cavallo’s back in Utica.
08. “November Rain” by Guns N’ Roses
09. “The Thanksgiving Song” by Adam Sandler
10. “Alice’s restaurant Massacree” by Arlo Guthrie
This is the ultimate Thanksgiving song. I doubt I’ll ever forget listening to this one growing up, as my folks began the preparations for that night’s dinner. I don’t think I’ve ever gone a Thanksgiving without listening to it at least once since.

No comments:

Post a Comment