Sunday, November 1, 2009

New York, Matchbox Twenty

New York City Mix

In recognition of the New York Yankees, who have been dominating my Facebook mini-feed of late, and the Knicks who may have just started the season that will mark their return to the playoffs (na, I don't think so either) I post this mix, a tribute to the Big Apple. One of the things I like about this collection songs is the diversity of moods and messages, despite (or perhaps because of) the common thread. Even among artists you get some of the most upbeat and melancholy of both Simon & Garfunkel and Counting Crows. Good times.


01. "Marching Bands of Manhatten" by Death Cab for Cutie
02. "New York State of Mind" by Billy Joel
03. "Goin' Down To New York Town" by Counting Crows
04. "New York, New York" by Ryan Adams
05. "Love Song/New York" by Lucy Kaplansky
06. "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" by Simon & Garfunkel
07. "The Only Living Boy In New York" by Simon & Garfunkel
08. "Chelsea" by Counting Crows
09. "City of Blinding Lights" by U2
10. "Manhattan" by Kings of Leon
11. "Leaving New York" by REM
12. "New York City" by They Might Be Giants

13. "New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra


Matchbox Twenty/Rob Thomas Mix

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Matchbox Twenty. If I'm in the mood for them, there are few bands I like more. Oftentimes, I dismiss them for being on the pop side of pop-rock, but trying to pass for legit rock (is that musically elitist enough for you? enough to redeem me for posting a mix devoted to this act?). Anyway, I tend to lump most of Rob Thomas's solo work with the Matchbox stuff because it sounds much the same. Here, I present a compilation of some of the band/man's best, paying homage to a lot of popular stuff, but snubbing some radio songs along the way (I'm sorry, unless I assemble a Boring Mix "Back2Good" and "Mad Season" are not making it onto one of my CDs; "Disease" and "If Your Gone" might have made it were time and flow not factors), and giving proper recognition to the band's very best if lesser known stuff ("Hang," "What You Want To Be").


01. “How Far We’ve Come”
02. “Angry”
03. “Ever the Same”
04. “3 AM”
05. “Problem Girl”
06. “Kody”
07. “Shame”
08. “Push”
09. “Bent”
10. “Bed of Lies”
11. “This Is How A Heart Breaks”
12. “Streetcorner Symphony”
13. “Little Wonders”
14. “Downfall”
15. “Hang”
16. “What You Want To Be”

17. “Bright Lights”

No comments:

Post a Comment