Sunday, January 24, 2010

Musical Mix

To clarify, this isn’t just a mix that is musical, but rather a mix made up of songs from musicals. This is, in large part, a result of my recent obsession with Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, which led to a revisiting of Joss Whedon’s other musical masterpiece, Once More, With Feeling, which, in turn, led to a look back to the musicals I grew up with, the musicals my high school did, and the musicals I was exposed to in college and the years that followed.

The definition of musicals a bit liberal here (see the inclusion of the three song competition set from Glee). In addition, I openly acknowledge that I’m exposing myself a bit here—both in terms of my somewhat limited scope of knowledge on musicals (21 tracks, with only 13 shows represented) and my guilty pleasures (again, see Glee). Lastly, I opted not to include Muppet or Disney musicals here—each could probably justify their own mixes, and perhaps will one day.

OK, enough admissions and apologies, on to the track list.

01. “I Got Rhythm” from Crazy for You
02. “Laundry Day (My Freeze Ray)” from Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog
03. “Moving Too Fast” from The Last Five Years
04. “The River Won’t Flow” from Songs for a New World
05. “Think of Me” from Phantom of the Opera
06. “Almost Like Being in Love” from Brigadoon
07. “There Once Was a Man” from The Pajama Game
08. “A Little Fall of Rain” from Les Miserables
09. “Do You Hear the People Sing?” from Les Miserables
10. “My Eyes (On the Rise)” from Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog
11. “Walk Through the Fire” from Once More, With Feeling
12. “I’ll Cover You (Reprise)” from RENT
13. “One Day More!” from Les Miserables
14. “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from Glee
15. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” from Glee
16. “Somebody to Love” from Glee
17. “Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You” from The Last Five Years
18. “Where Do We Go From Here?” from Once More, With Feeling
19. “For Good” from Wicked
20. “Finale B” from RENT
21. “The River of Dreams/Keeping the Faith/Only the Good Die Young” from Movin’ Out

No comments:

Post a Comment